Monday, September 08, 2008

[MOSS2007] Error during editing navigation items

[ISSUE]
When trying to edit the navigation items in a site, I get the following error message:
"The page has been modified by another author on <time>"
.....even when I am 100% nobody is changing the navigation of this site.

The reason why I was editing the navigation was because some items were having some strange URL's:
/_layouts/viewlsts.aspx?BaseType=0?BaseType=0?BaseType=0?BaseType=0

[CAUSE]
After browsing on the Internet I found that this had been caused because I used the Content and Structure Manager to move a site. SharePoint has an issue, which is causing the behaviour above.

[SOLUTION]
To solve this issue, do the following:


  • Remove all of the Document Libraries and lists from the navigation by:
    • Open the list/library you want to remove from the quick launch
    • Click Settings > List Settings (or Library Settings)
    • Click on Title, description and navigation
    • Choose No for Display this list on the Quick Launch?
  • Remove all corrupted navigation items
  • Readd the Lists/Libraries

[MORE INFO]
Technet Forum
Windows Tech
Blog Paul Gavin


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks, that worked for me. I had to remove every item from every category, lists, documents, discussions. Then I could remove the bad links and put the libraries back.