Over the last few weeks I have been working on an issue with the search box in WSS. For some reason the seach box couldn't be selected, causing the user not to be able to do a search. After trying to disable and enable the full-text indexing (and experiencing the problems I have described in my previous post) I found out that when I move the mouse to the top of the search box, I could select the search box. Some troubleshooting later I found out that the theme was the cause:
- Somehow the theme did move the graphics of the search box down, but not the search box control.
Our theme-creation-guy fixed this issue by modifying the theme,adding
"position: relative" to the ".ms-searchform" class.
A simple solution for something so simple, but which has taken me weeks to figure out. You always start thinking in difficult solutions :-)